White-header Woodpecker at Richardson Park

John Callender

Today I birded the Cuyama Valley, hoping to see the male White-headed Woodpecker that was seen at Richardson Park on Wednesday afternoon. He wasn’t there when I looked around 7:30 a.m., but I tried again at 2:30 p.m. and there he was. What a gorgeous bird!

He was with a pair of Nuttall’s Woodpeckers and a Red-breasted Sapsucker, the same as he was on Wednesday. They were in the bare trees near the footbridge close to the park entrance.

I didn’t see the Clay-colored Sparrow previously reported from the park, but apparently I was looking in the wrong spot. I was sifting through the White-crowned Sparrows in and around the creek channel, but I’ve since heard I should have been looking for the Clay-colored associating with a group of Chipping Sparrows on the ball field.

John Callender

Carpinteria