Black Rd and North County

Mark Holmgren

Sandhill Crane is present this morning on Black Road north of Betteravia. Five species of expected gulls also present, none out of the ordinary. I will return there for another look later this morning.
A Palm Warbler at Santa Maria Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Full results posted to eBird later.
Mark Holmgren
Santa Barbara

On Feb 10, 2019, at 8:18 PM, Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...> wrote:

All,

My original plan was to spend some time birding the trail towards Pt Sal for raptors. But I arrived to find the parks service had closed the trail and fenced it off. It seems like N. County parks are conspiring against me. Fortunately, the SMRE was open. I had 37 White Pelicans at the mouth and the gull flock here had 22 Herring and an adult Thayer's. The flooded fields by the entrance road had a lot of ducks included a Wood Duck and 2 BW Teals. At the flooded field along Black Rd, I saw the crane and more gulls.

I then checked out Ocean Park. The gull flock here was pretty small but had 13 Herring Gulls and an adult Black-legged Kittiwake. There are still plenty of Eared Grebes and a Horned Grebe and Pelagic Cormorant are still present. A cursory check of Sudden Rd failed to turn up any raptors of interest.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200