[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Sandhill Crane (4 reports)
- Lesser Black-backed Gull (2 reports)
- White-headed Woodpecker (1 report)

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 16, 2019 16:15 by Erik Dodos
- 1586 Black Rd, Santa Maria US-CA (34.9328,-120.4885), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.932848,-120.48852&ll=34.932848,-120.48852
- Comments: "Continuing near tractor east of pond. "

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 16, 2019 13:08 by Curtis Marantz
- Black Rd north of Betteravia, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9305803,-120.4901161&ll=34.9305803,-120.4901161
- Comments: "We again saw the continuing crane in about the same place where I had previously seen it in mid-January, and thus at a distance of 300-400 meters, as it foraged in the field to the east of the one that was flooded. I again noted that this was a large wader that appeared to be just a little larger than a nearby Great Blue Heron. Also apparent was that it had a shorter bill, a steeper forehead and a more rounded crown on a head that sat atop a neck that lacked the S-curve of a heron. More obvious, however, was this birds hunch-backed appearance that included a "bustle" that appeared to represent elongate and conspicuously decurved tertials that covered the wingtips and tail.
The plumage was more uniformly medium-gray than that of the heron, but I also noted that the forehead was a deep&#61;red in color back to a point roughly above the eye, that the face was whitish, and that the neck, back, wings, and underparts were medium-gray apart from some warm-brown on the wing coverts, albeit with a pattern that I could not determine with certainty.
I thought the bill was dark, and I noted that the legs were dark gray, but I was unable to see the color of the eyes."

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 16, 2019 13:08 by David Compton
- Black Rd north of Betteravia, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9305803,-120.4901161&ll=34.9305803,-120.4901161
- Comments: "Continuing. See previous description. But note that this time, I could see clearly that the fore crown was red. Looks were very distant."

Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 16, 2019 12:23 by Tom Edell
- Black Road (34.932, -120.49), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9321757,-120.4900617&ll=34.9321757,-120.4900617
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing immature bird (based on past photos taken by others) in field east of pond. Tall, long legged and long necked bird with a wide rear end that at distance appeared all gray with red above eye thought the extent of the red was difficult to determine. Distant photo"

Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 16, 2019 11:13 by margeNdon thornton
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "About the size of the California Gulls, but dark like the WesternGulls. The head was streaked, although the photos do not show it very well. The dark smudge around the eye emphasizes the clear iris. In flight, this bird displays squarish patches on the wing tops."

Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 16, 2019 10:32 by David Compton
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing/returning adult. Very distinctive individual with black horizontal line on the maxilla, small black area on the edge of the red spot on the bill, and signs of leucism evident in several white feathers on the tops of each wing. Another distinctive feature of the bird was the odd leg color, which I considered a dull pinkish yellow or dull pink/yellow. I've heard the legs of this bird described as yellow-green or greenish yellow, but I saw no greenish tones at all on the legs.

In other respects this bird looked like any adult Lesser Black-backed Gull. When the bird was at rest, the upper parts were a dark gray very similar in tone and darkness to nearby adult Western Gulls. The underparts were white. The head was mostly white, but with an obvious dark smudge around the pale yellow eye and fine white streaking on the crown and nape. The tail was white. When the bird was at rest, you could also see white spots on the black flight feathers. When the bird was in flight, you could see one flight feather (second from the feather?) that had an extensive black tip with a prominent white spot below the tip.

Structurally, the bird was smaller than Western Gull, and probably a little closer in size to California than to Western. It had a more slender, daintier appearance than Western Gull, and a longer-winged appearance. I felt the head also seemed proportionally smaller than that of Western Gull. The bill was both narrower and shorter than that of Western, and was of relatively even length. Compared to the bill of California Gull, it was broader and possibly shorter."

White-headed Woodpecker (Dryobates albolarvatus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Feb 16, 2019 12:30 by John Deacon
- Richardson Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.946546,-119.6853054&ll=34.946546,-119.6853054
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Found in Pine Tree at entrance to the park. He had been reported in the bare trees between the Pine Tree and the walking bridge. When not in these bare trees, it is possible that he is in the Pine Tree. We observed him foraging for pine cone seeds."