[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Black-legged Kittiwake (1 report)
- Lesser Black-backed Gull (1 report)
- White-headed Woodpecker (1 report)

Black-legged Kittiwake (Rissa tridactyla) (1)
- Reported Feb 17, 2019 07:12 by John Callender
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing adult. On sandbar north of the river mouth with other gulls. Small size, unmarked yellow bill, dark auricular patch blending into gray hindcrown, small dark wingtips when it flew. I noted that this bird was oiled below; moreso, it looked like, than in the photos from Jamie Chavez's list from February 14 (if this is the same bird, which I'm not sure it is). See https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52705306."

Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus) (1)
- Reported Feb 17, 2019 07:12 by John Callender
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 4 Photos
- Comments: "While sheltering from the rain in my car at 8:55 a.m. I had a distant view of a gull bathing in the open water of the estuary east of the parking lot. Through binoculars I thought I saw a white patch at the base of the primaries on the bird's upper wing similar to the mark that the Lesser Black-backed Gull previously seen at Ocean Beach Park has. I took some (poor) photos that I believe show this to be the same bird.

I don’t believe the photos I took are sufficient to support the identification as Lesser Black-backed Gull on their own. Because of this bird’s specific pattern of leucistic marks at the base of its primaries and the dark smudging around the eye, though, I believe this is likely the same bird that was photographed the day before by Don Thornton (see https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52797397) and Dave Compton (see https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52795726).

The bird I photographed flew away to the west, but did not appear to be present when I (and others) subsequently examined the gulls at the river mouth."

White-headed Woodpecker (Dryobates albolarvatus) (1)
- Reported Feb 17, 2019 11:24 by Herb Elliott
- Richardson Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.946546,-119.6853054&ll=34.946546,-119.6853054
- Media: 5 Photos, 1 Audio
- Comments: "The previously reported male White-headed Woodpecker was observed between the restrooms and the footbridge this morning. It was overall black with the face, throat, crown, red on back of head and a large white patch on wings."