Caspian Tern band recovery

Dave Compton

Hi folks,

I thought some might want to know what I heard back from USGS about a banded Caspian Tern that some of us saw at the Santa Ynez River Estuary on 15 February while looking for the Lesser Black-backed Gull. The bird hatched in 2008 or earlier and was banded at a colony near the mouth of the Columbia River in far northwestern Oregon  (and actually offshore of Chinook, Washington) on 1 June 2010.

The banding location isn't a huge surprise, but it's somewhat impressive the bird has made it for at least 11 and a half years.