Tennessee Warbler at Devereux

Hugh Ranson

I birded a few spots in Goleta/Santa Barbara today. Some highlights:

Cathedral Oaks, west of La Patera (34.441517, -119.862203)--at least one Chestnut-backed Chickadee in willows
Farren Road: Blue Grosbeak, Lazuli Bunting, Phainopepla
Ellwood Mesa: Grasshopper and Lark Sparrow
North Campus Open Space: Red-necked Phalarope (2 or 3), Blue-winged Teal (pair), Say's Phoebe
Devereux Slough: many migrants just south of the first pullout. Best bird was a Tennessee Warbler, but there were also Nashville (3), Wilson's (2), Yellow-rumped (1), Warbling Vireo (2), Western Tanagers, Bullock's and Hooded Orioles, and a Western Wood-Pewee.
Devereux Beach: Dunlin; tern flock included Elegant, Royal, and Caspian.

I heard/saw  Hairy Woodpeckers in 3 locations: Ellwood, Atascadero Creek, and the creek by Vieja Valley School, where there's an active nest site with nestlings.

I saw no Kestrels today despite being in plenty of suitable habitat. Bad luck, or are they in trouble?

Hugh Ranson