Re: Willows Anchorage (Santa Cruz Island) trip with Island Packers on Saturday, May 11

John Callender

Regarding the "family group" of Common Murres I reported above, a helpful commenter has pointed out some relevant aspects of Common Murre life history: each clutch consists of a single egg, and the male parent (only) accompanies the chick at sea. Looking at the photos (and several other fuzzier photos of the same group) with a critical eye, I'm no longer convinced that any of the birds are noticeably smaller than the others. I now think the apparent size differences I was seeing in the photos could be artifacts of the birds' relative positions, postures, and poor image quality.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback.

John Callender
Carpinteria