[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Gadwall (1 report)
- Laysan Albatross (1 report)
- Sharp-shinned Hawk (1 report)
- Red-breasted Nuthatch (1 report)

Gadwall (Mareca strepera) (2)
- Reported May 11, 2019 05:35 by James Bailey
- (33.9578,-119.9801), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.95776,-119.980136&ll=33.95776,-119.980136
- Comments: "Male and female pair at Abalone Rocks lagoon."

Laysan Albatross (Phoebastria immutabilis) (1)
- Reported May 07, 2019 07:24 by judy meredith
- Cruise Ship Leg 4 - Santa Barbara county (34.361, -121.322), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3606434,-121.3218292&ll=34.3606434,-121.3218292
- Comments: "Largely white albatross with dark mantle. Photos."

Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) (1)
- Reported May 12, 2019 16:20 by Eric Culbertson
- Romero Canyon Road Hawk Watch Site, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4526943,-119.5826036&ll=34.4526943,-119.5826036
- Comments: "Small accipiter studied through binoculars as it slowly soared above and just north of me over the high “knob” here before moving west. I was surprised when I started looking at it and what I saw fit Sharp-Shinned and not Cooper’s. When I study soaring Accipiter’s from below I usually focus first on the tail length and shape. I saw on this bird a square tail that wasn’t nearly as dominant a feature of the birds profile as the long tail with the rounded end seen on Cooper’s Hawks. The wings appeared broad and short and appeared to show the “hunched” forward wing posture typical of this species. The head also appeared small and didn’t protrude forward like is typical for a Cooper’s Hawk. Plumage appeared streaky and brown through entire underparts. I saw no bold coloration you would expect in a adult bird."

Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis) (1)
- Reported May 12, 2019 08:10 by Joey Negreann
- (34.0310,-119.8705), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.031017,-119.87051&ll=34.031017,-119.87051
- Comments: "Tooting recorded "