Another Romero Swainson's Hawk

Dave Compton

I saw a single Swainson's Hawk from the Romero Canyon fire road hawk watch spot, above Montecito, at about 11:40AM today. I hadn't intended to go up to this spot, but birded in the canyon and up the fire road, so ended up here at what was probably not an optimal time for a hawk watch (late in the season, early in the day, and under relatively high cloud cover). But I managed to see one Swainson's Hawk about a minute after I arrived, then nothing for the next half hour.

On the way up the fire road from the bottom of the canyon, I saw a Hermit Warbler that was one of the few passerine signs of migration.