Male Rose-breasted Grosbeak singing along the Franklin Trail this morning

John Callender

I hiked up the Franklin Trail above Carpinteria early this morning. The best bird was a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the canyon near (34.4252353, -119.5088525), singing around 7:10 a.m. This is the first canyon beyond the vehicle gate at mile 2.2. I got some poor photos and audio recordings that are in the eBird list below. I lost track of the bird when it flew north.

Later, after seeing four Black Swifts near mile 3.0, I was coming down and met Eric Culbertson hiking up. He mentioned having heard what might have been the same Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the original location. We returned there together and heard what sounded like the bird singing but were not able to see it. I continued down while Eric resumed his hike up. Later he texted to let me know he'd had good views of what probably was the same bird singing above Sutton Canyon, and then had heard (but did not see) it back in the original location as he was hiking down.

My eBird list is here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S56622181

John Callender
Carpinteria