Purple Martins at Nojoqui Falls park and environs

Glenn Kincaid

As some of you are aware, in recent years we have been tracking the breeding progress of Santa Barbara County’s only known Purple Martin breeding areas. The breeding areas are in and near Nojoqui Falls County park, and Alisal Ranch.

Yesterday Adrian O’Lochlen and I visited the area. I am happy to report the the breeding season appears to be moving along nicely. We observed at least 6 Purple Martins in the park itself, at least 5 Martins at a site nearby on Alisal Road, and at least 3 Martins at the Alisal Ranch. In all areas the birds were exploring potential nesting cavities in Sycamore trees. This behavior is consistent with our observations in recent years. If things continue to plan the birds should be settling down to nest very soon, if not already.

More news soon.

Glenn Kincaid

Glenn Kincaid