El Capitan Cyn Yellow-breasted Chat

Mark Holmgren

I hiked north of the El Capitan Ranch Glamping Project and found a really nice trail.  Though this trail was a bit above the riparian, one can look down on it and the side canyons were wet and lush and in recovery from fire.  In one of the side canyons was a single singing Yellow-breasted Chat at 487 feet elevation and 1.8 miles N of the creek mouth, photo attached. This species is rare between Goleta and Gaviota.  I think this is State Park property upstream of El Cap Ranch.

Some interesting things about this canyon were the lack or scarcity of Yellow Warblers, Warbling Vireos, Hooded Orioles, and Wood-Pewees.  When I did detect Hooded Orioles it was upstream of the El Cap Ranch, N of all the planted Palms in the camping zone.  Song Sparrows and Common Yellowthroats were more common on the hillsides and in the side canyon than in the riparian.  There was plenty of breeding activity.

I recommend this hiking trail.  It would be nice to be able to drive to the north end of the tourist ranch, then begin hiking from there.

El Cap Cyn 28 June 2019.jpg
Mark Holmgren
Santa Barbara
IMG_1152 Yellow-breasted Chat sm.jpg