Re: No Stilt Sandpiper

Nick Lethaby

There were two broods of Cinnamon Teal back in late May, including a couple of just fledged juveniles. The latter are still around but seem to spend all their time in the channel immediately below the bluff as I only ever see them when they fly out of here. No Ruddy Duck or Blue-winged Teal broods yet. Ruddy Ducks apparently like emergent vegetation in an appropriate water depth. I am not sure that Area K has a lot of appropriate nest sites. Last year, I was surprised at the low ratio of broods to birds for Ruddy Ducks at the SYRE.

I have seen at least one pair of Cinnamon Teals prospecting  over the last 2-3 weeks at Area K along with multiple pairs of BW Teals. My guess is that we will know if there are any more broods in the next couple of weeks.

On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 7:47 AM Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33@...> wrote:
Like Glenn, I checked out Area K from 6:50 to 7:15. No Stilt. Common Moorhen is present and lots of babies of Grebes, coots, and the expected ducks.
Has anyone yet detected breeding evidence at Area K this year from Ruddy Duck, Blue-winged Teal, or Cinnamon Teal?

Mark Holmgren

Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200