Broad-Tailed Pardise Whydah at Las Cruzitas

Cruz Phillips

This one took me a while to ID.  But with the help of Wes on the phone (he got me to the family and where to look) and my Birds of West Africa by Serle, Morel and Hartwig from 1977, I can say it looks exactly like the picture of the Broad-Tailed Paradise Whydah.  Not much else to say but it is one crazy looking bird.  And flying it looks like a big fat black ribbon with a small black blob at one end going through the air.  Perched on the wire, the bill is a little more like dark blue steel than the picture and the brown around the neck is very iridescent.  Otherwise exactly like the picture.

Cruz
Las Cruzitas Ranch
Santa Ynez, CA