Re: [EXTERNAL] [sbcobirding] Rincon Creek this morning

Nick Lethaby <nlethaby@...>

Wow. That's a great find on the chickadees.

On Jul 11, 2019 6:24 PM, Mark Holmgren <maholmgren33@...> wrote:
My friend from Oregon, Dave Haupt, has been going afield with me for the last few days.  We had a nice day walking the bottom of Rincon Creek this morning where we birded 0.1 mile downstream of the Bates bridge (in blue on the attached aerial photo) and 0.57 miles upstream of the Bates bridge (in red). Two checklists resulted.  We did not distinguish birds seen in SB vs Ventura county.

We found a single silent Swainson's Thrush 45 meters downstream of the Bates Rd bridge and a Yellow-breasted Chat about 1/3 mile upstream of the bridge.  No Wilson's Warblers were detected.  These three species are old denizens (like in the 1980s to the early 2000s) of this section of Rincon Creek.

Other highlights include: Western Wood-Pewees (7 total in 2 downstream territories, and 5 individuals in 4 territories upstream).  Chestnut-backed Chickadees were well-entrenched both downstream and upstream of the Bates bridge. As many as 12 were seen in 5 distinct areas.

In relatively short supply were Yellow Warbler (5 total), Warbling Vireo (2 or 4 total upstream only), and Bullock's Oriole (1 family).

 https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58096559.   downstream of Bates bridge

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58107230.   upstream of Bates bridge

Mark Holmgren
San Marcos Pass