Re: Yellow warblers in odd spots

Joan Lentz <joanlentz@...>

Wim and all:
I agree with both views.  I’ve never heard so many Yellow Warblers everywhere.  It’s like there’s one or two wherever you go, including absolutely none traditional Yellow Warbler spots.  There’s just always one or two singing in the distance, or across the street, or wherever you are.  I cannot remember EVER hearing so many YeWas away from more traditional riparian areas.   And in the more riparian areas, the numbers seem up, to which I attribute the increased rainfall of the past winter.
May I also make a plea for those of you who want to increase your bird lists?  Get hearing aids.  You’ll think the birding is pretty dull until you can actually hear the birds again!  I love mine!
Not that Yellow Warbler is a difficult sound, but there are others, and we’re not getting good data if we can’t hear what’s there !
Good birding to all!
Joan

On Jul 12, 2019, at 4:05 PM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam@...> wrote:

Re Yellow Warblers: In previous years I have had them show up in my Solvang yard in summer, post-breeding. This year, though, I have heard them throughout spring, suggesting they might be breeding nearby. So my question is: did other people have spring Yellow Warblers at locations where they are typically missing during the breeding season?

Wim

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 2:57 PM Nick Lethaby via Groups.Io <nlethaby=ti.com@groups.io> wrote:

All,

A couple of years ago, Dave Compton pointed that he was finding Yellow Warblers summering/breeding in odd habitats. Despite the refresh our wetlands have gotten this last winter, this habit seems to be persisting. I have had two birds singing all summer in eucalyptus and pepper trees along Cathedral Oaks just west of Winchester Canyon. There has been one bird in this area for 3 years now. I also had a Yellow Warbler at Alice Keck Park Memorial Gardens today. I would be interested if anyone else is seeing this.

Regards,

Nick Lethaby

Goleta, CA 93117

Office: 805 562 5106