Goleta breeding birds of interest

Nick Lethaby

This morningĀ  I did a bit of follow up on various Say's Phoebes sightings I have had over the last couple of weeks and found two additional breeding pairs. I also checked a location I had seen an adult carrying food back to some houses a few weeks ago and found there were 4 fledglings sitting shoulder to shoulder on a window sill being fed by both parents. All this makes a total of 6 pairs of Say's Phoebes with fledged young in Goleta this year.

After drawing a blank on any BWTE broods in a dawn visit, I returned to Area K in evening and immediately found a brood of 10 ducklings. These were no bigger than the ducklings in the brood of 10 I photographed a week ago and certainly a different brood. I got better pictures as I have switched my camera to pinpoint focusing. Based on the behavior of BWTE males in the area, there should be another brood hatching in a week or so.

Regards,

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA