[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Blue-winged Teal (6 reports)
- Indian Peafowl (1 report)
- Common Ground-Dove (4 reports)
- Rufous Hummingbird (2 reports)
- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Baird's Sandpiper (1 report)
- Sabine's Gull (4 reports)
- Townsend's Storm-Petrel (11 reports)
- Brown Booby (7 reports)
- Neotropic Cormorant (8 reports)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2)
- Reported Jul 16, 2019 09:35 by Eric Hopson
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing male, associating with a female (presumably BWTE) which made a brief appearance in open water near pickleweed Islands at SW end of the Slough, before she swam back into them. Will post photos ASAP."

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:37 by Kay Regester
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "White crescent on face. White hip patch. So are all the BETE here hybrids? EBird wants me to enter BWTE/CITE. "

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 09:10 by Eric Hopson
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Distinctive male breeding plumage. "

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2)
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 14:27 by Sam S
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Male and female pair south of bridge over slough (first complete bridge inland of half-bridge). Obvious white crescent on male. Didn’t realize these were unusual here/now and didn’t photograph or scrutinize."

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 15:14 by Julie Scotland
- Goleta Sanitary District Plant, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42334,-119.83231&ll=34.42334,-119.83231
- Comments: "A pair of teal flew over coming from the west, appeared to land in the channel immediately east of the facility. Prominent white facial crescent visible on male. I’m making an assumption that his female partner was also a BWTE. "

Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 15:14 by Conor Scotland
- Goleta Sanitary District Plant, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.42334,-119.83231&ll=34.42334,-119.83231
- Comments: "A pair of teal flew over coming from the west, appeared to land in the channel immediately east of the facility. Prominent white facial crescent visible on male. I’m making an assumption that his female partner was also a BWTE. "

Indian Peafowl (Pavo cristatus) (3)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 19:45 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama Ag fields #2 (no public access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9599456,-119.6785985&ll=34.9599456,-119.6785985
- Comments: "Domestic birds"

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 14:48 by logan kahle
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Known loc. Singing. (34.4674648, -119.9216868)"

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 08:09 by Sam S
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Known location for this species. One bird in avocado farm near end of public road."

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 09:33 by Conor McMahon
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Apparently continuing. Heard only - recording."

Common Ground-Dove (Columbina passerina) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 16:35 by Scott Terrill
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "At north end of Farren Road, an established location for this species."

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 12, 2019 07:54 by Anonymous eBirder
- Bates Cyn Rd 34.9173 -119.9002, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.917294,-119.900191&ll=34.917294,-119.900191
- Comments: "Adult male with solid rufous back, white breast, full Red gorget"

Rufous Hummingbird (Selasphorus rufus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 12, 2019 07:54 by dave haupt
- Bates Cyn Rd 34.9173 -119.9002, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.917294,-119.900191&ll=34.917294,-119.900191
- Comments: "Adult male with solid rufous back, white breast, full Red gorget "

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (3) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 10:45 by John Deacon
- Vandenberg AFB--Triangle Pond, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.7845304,-120.5407548&ll=34.7845304,-120.5407548
- Media: 1 Audio
- Comments: "I reported a VIRA last week. I didn't realize that it was a rarity for this time of year. I returned to get a recording and ended up with 2 on the recording and I heard another in the distance."

Baird's Sandpiper (Calidris bairdii) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 10:54 by Eric Hopson
- Coal Oil Point, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4083967,-119.8797226&ll=34.4083967,-119.8797226
- Media: 7 Photos
- Comments: "Medium sized peep with stubby -- nearly straight bill -- short neck and broad breast. Scaly pattern on back. Buffy breast. Wingtips extended beyond tail. Foraging on beach ~ 1/4 mi NW of the Point in in both wet sand (at edge of surf) as well as higher up on beach in dry sand (amongst decomposing seaweed)."

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Will attach pic"

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by Tammy McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Will attach pic"

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by Richard Dean
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Will attach pic"

Sabine's Gull (Xema sabini) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by Gaylee Dean
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Will attach pic"

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 10:59 by Gaylee Dean
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 11a leg, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.845234,-119.539424&ll=33.845234,-119.539424
- Comments: "Bright white upper tail with no dark median streak. Will attach pics. Leaders confirmed I’d. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 10:59 by Tammy McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 11a leg, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.845234,-119.539424&ll=33.845234,-119.539424
- Comments: "Bright white upper tail with no dark median streak. Will attach pics. Leaders confirmed I’d. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 10:59 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 11a leg, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.845234,-119.539424&ll=33.845234,-119.539424
- Comments: "Bright white upper tail with no dark median streak. Will attach pics. Leaders confirmed I’d. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:06 by Richard Dean
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 leg 1p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.653318,-119.577248&ll=33.653318,-119.577248
- Comments: "Bright white uppertail with no dark smudges or dark lines down the middle. I’d by trip leaders. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:06 by Tammy McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 leg 1p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.653318,-119.577248&ll=33.653318,-119.577248
- Comments: "Bright white uppertail with no dark smudges or dark lines down the middle. I’d by trip leaders. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:06 by Gaylee Dean
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 leg 1p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.653318,-119.577248&ll=33.653318,-119.577248
- Comments: "Bright white uppertail with no dark smudges or dark lines down the middle. I’d by trip leaders. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:06 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 leg 1p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.653318,-119.577248&ll=33.653318,-119.577248
- Comments: "Bright white uppertail with no dark smudges or dark lines down the middle. I’d by trip leaders. "

Townsend's Storm-Petrel (Oceanodroma socorroensis) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 12:00 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic Leg 12p, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.787833,-119.675689&ll=33.787833,-119.675689
- Comments: "Bright white upper tail with no dark smudges or median line running through it. I’d by trip leaders. "

[...]

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (29)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:27 by Gaylee Dean
- Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.465406,-119.052964&ll=33.465406,-119.052964
- Comments: "Pics with accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (29)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:27 by Richard Dean
- Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.465406,-119.052964&ll=33.465406,-119.052964
- Comments: "Pics with accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (29)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:27 by David McQuade
- Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.465406,-119.052964&ll=33.465406,-119.052964
- Comments: "Pics with accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (29)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:27 by Tammy McQuade
- Sutil Rock, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.465406,-119.052964&ll=33.465406,-119.052964
- Comments: "Pics with accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (6)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:01 by Gaylee Dean
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 Leg 4pm, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.356778,-119.06167&ll=33.356778,-119.06167
- Comments: "Accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (6)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:01 by Tammy McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 Leg 4pm, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.356778,-119.06167&ll=33.356778,-119.06167
- Comments: "Accurate count"

Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster) (6)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 16:01 by David McQuade
- Ventura Pelagic 71419 Leg 4pm, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=33.356778,-119.06167&ll=33.356778,-119.06167
- Comments: "Accurate count"

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 16, 2019 10:05 by Conor Scotland
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing on snag out in lagoon, about 150m N of the half bridge. Small relative to DCCO next to it. Acutely angled gape w/ dull white fringe. "

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 16, 2019 09:35 by Eric Hopson
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 9 Photos
- Comments: "Noticeably smaller than DCCO which it was seen perched next to. Relatively long tail, small head and short, mostly gray, bill. Lores were gray as well. Limited Orange chin patch, with faint white boarder. Breast mostly dark brown. Initially seen perched on emergent small woody sticks with one DCCO over open at SW end of the Slough. Later it flew and landed on one of the dead eucalyptus snags (near the parking area at the closed bridge) for a few minutes before flying to and Landing at the far west end of the Slough near beach sand dunes. Will post photos later."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 18:22 by Linda Pittman
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Seen from pullout by half bridge. Not present when I arrived. Cormorants were actively foraging and flying back and forth. Seen on branches in slough, next to DCCO, with wings spread and preening. Smaller than DCCO, longer tail, pointy white edge to gular pouch. It appeared to be somewhat scaley and raggedy. "

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 15, 2019 14:10 by logan kahle
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "!!! Assumed it had left given yesterday’s negative reports. Easily visible on a log not far from mouth in direct comparison to a DC. Was about 2/3rd the size of the dcco and more lightly built overall. Proportionately had notably longer tail and shorter neck, and the neck and tail were about equal length. The neck was thinner than the dc, and the bill was shorter. The bird was on a log for about a minute then got off and swam right into a corner and I lost it. I obtained some poor photos, but unfortunately none from when they were together on the log, so they will be of little use as documentation. Good to know its still around"

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 18:27 by Scott Terrill
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing in the dead tree at the bridge-to-nowhere pullout. Photos by Linda Terrill."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 16:47 by dave haupt
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing. First seen at half bridge then preening on south shore of slouch near beach "

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1)
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 14:27 by Sam S
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Comments: "Continuing from near half-bridge. Not seen right away but eventually flew in from elsewhere. tried to get on a log, shooed away by DCCO, and chose another log. There we had great side by side comparisons with another DCCO. About 1/3rd smaller. White around gape. “Scalier” appearance to back feathering. Will add photos."

Neotropic Cormorant (Phalacrocorax brasilianus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 13, 2019 10:07 by Herb Elliott
- Devereux Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4136013,-119.8756027&ll=34.4136013,-119.8756027
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Previously reported - Smaller than the near by Double-crested Cormorants with emerald green eyes and pale yellow gular (throat) pouch at base of grayish bill, white V of feathers outlines pouch. The bird was not observed in flight. The bird was with four Double Crested Cormorants on the wood snags in the center of the slough south of the bridge to “no where”."

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1)
- Reported Jul 14, 2019 13:23 by Teale Fristoe
- UCSB North Campus Open Space (formerly Ocean Meadows Golf Course), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.421439,-119.8713662&ll=34.421439,-119.8713662
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Continuing juvenile just north of the western foot bridge. Pretty well hidden despite the small amount of foliage there. Finely streaked breast; grayish back with small white triangles and fine lines."