Goleta birds

Dave Compton

Sorry for the late post. This afternoon, Sunday, I heard a Least Bittern call from the Mesa Ditch, the side channel below the bluff that overlooks Basin K of Goleta Slough. This was toward the east end of the basin. The bird was pretty close to where I was standing, and it gave the loud, scratchy “ick-ick-ick” call they sometimes give, and not the soft chuckling sounds you also hear from them.

Also present was a female teal that looked to be a Blue-winged with nine small ducklings, closer to the west end of the basin.

Shorebird variety had picked up slightly at Devereux, with Semipalmated Plovers, Greater Yellowlegs, and Wilson’s Phalaropes joining the Western and smaller numbers of Least Sandpipers.

One addition to Nick’s notes about Ocean Park: on Saturday, one Redhead was near the mouth.