Re: 20 Year Anniversary Today

Alexandra Loos

From Dolores Pollock, President Santa Barbara Audubon Society:

Santa Barbara Audubon salutes you, Jamie, for years of valuable and very enjoyable service to our birding community! Your deft handling of this site is much appreciated. We look forward to many years more!

Alexandra Loos
Communications Chair
Santa Barbara Audubon Society

From: main@sbcobirding.groups.io <main@sbcobirding.groups.io> on behalf of Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam@...>
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:20 PM
To: Jamie Chavez <almiyi@...>; Sbcobirding <sbcobirding@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] 20 Year Anniversary Today

Congratulations to all of us, and thank you Jamie for holding the course.

Every now and then I read or reread some old posts on special birds, which is a lot of fun.

To answer Joan: The group has 848 members, but a lot of those accounts are inactive.

Wim

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 6:41 PM Jamie Chavez <almiyi@...> wrote:
Happy Anniversary sbcobirders! I had a message pop up today reminding me that 20 years ago this very day this group was created. I think I owe thanks to Mike Stiles of slocobirding who at the time had an active listserve through Cal Poly in SLO, and I remember asking Mike if I could post messages about Santa Maria area birds to the group and he said (politely), "I think I would rather keep this group focused on SLO county birds." BAM! sbcobirding was born. In those early days it was hosted through eGroups, eventually swallowed up by Yahoo, later ignored by Yahoo so we moved to Groups.io. In all that time the number of subscribers has grown. I think there were only a few county groups way back when but eventually nearly all 58 counties in California had a discussion group or regional group that birders could report birds to. It was a sign of the times. The phone-in BirdBox was starting to disappear and email discussion groups were a means to get information out to a wide audience fairly quickly. While eBird has taken over the way birders obtain information today it does not support real discussion. This is why I feel email groups still serve a purpose. A group like this is only as good as its members and the topics being discussed so thanks go to all of you for your participation all these years, sharing your sightings and generating some really meaningful discussion about birding in this wonderful county.

--
Jamie Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

--