[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Virginia Rail (1 report)
- Solitary Sandpiper (1 report)
- Black Tern (3 reports)

Virginia Rail (Rallus limicola) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 27, 2019 10:20 by John Deacon
- Vandenberg AFB--Triangle Pond, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.7845304,-120.5407548&ll=34.7845304,-120.5407548
- Comments: "Ongoing at this location. Grunt display heard from 2 birds."

Solitary Sandpiper (Tringa solitaria) (1)
- Reported Jul 30, 2019 08:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9519718,-119.6969408&ll=34.9519718,-119.6969408
- Comments: "Small white Tringa. Regular in Cuyama Valley in migration. Too far away to see spots and eyering - identified by size, stance, bill, behaviour. FOS. Bird no longer present at 1 p.m."

Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 30, 2019 11:38 by John Callender
- Mission Creek outflow (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4127959,-119.6869361&ll=34.4127959,-119.6869361
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Reported earlier today by Joan Lentz. Seen flying over the outfall lagoon and over the ocean between Stearn’s Wharf and East Beach. Small, gray wings above and below, characteristic head pattern, buoyant flight."

Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 30, 2019 10:49 by Mark Holmgren
- Mission Creek outflow (SBA Co.), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4127959,-119.6869361&ll=34.4127959,-119.6869361
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "As Mark and I were scanning the birds here, I looked through the scope and spotted what I thought might be a Black Tern. Mark agreed. We watched the bird for a long time perched, took multiple photos, but they're distant. A small tern with dark gray wings above and below, white forehead, dark cap and nape, but white patch coming up on side of neck, then dark vertical patch reaches down. Separates white hindneck from underwing in flight. Not sure if bird is a juvenile or an adult coming into non-breeding plumage. Several other birders there saw it, got photos."

Black Tern (Chlidonias niger) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Jul 30, 2019 10:49 by Joan Lentz