weekend shorebirds

Nick Lethaby

All,

I checked Area K and Devereux twice each on Saturday and once each today. I also checked Ocean Beach Park this morning, It was rather foggy there.

There are now large numbers (250) of Black-bellied Plovers roosting on Devereux and Semiplamated Plovers have increased to over 100. Plenty of Least and Westerns, but nothing of interest with them. A few of both yellowlegs and phalaropes continue. 3 Short-billed Dowitcher juvs finally showed up today and hopefully these will get commoner. The Avocet continues.

The eastern middle part of Area K is starting to pull in more birds. Today there were 8 Lesser and 5 Greater Yellowlegs, both species of dowitcher and phalarope, lots of peeps and stilts. It's reminding me a lot more of the Area K of the early and mid 2000s than 2017 and looks very promising. All 3 teal species remain.

Ocean Baech had many more (23) Short-billed Dowichers and (27) Greater Yellowlegs with almost 300 RN Phalaropes, along with other expected species. There were at least 14 Least Terns, including some juvs on the sandbar.

--
Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200