SB Harbor and Mission Creek

Robert Lindsay

Thursday, 8/15, 9:00-10:30 am

Started at the SB Harbor Breakwater. Lots of shorebirds: Willet, Whimbrel, Marbled Godwit, Long-billed Curlew, one Black-bellied plover, and 12 Black Turnstone all on the beach west of the base of the breakwater. 3 Juvenile Long-billed Curlew had me baffled until I could look at reference materials. The bill is so much smaller than on adults, nearly identical to those of Whimbrels. I'm surprised that I had not seen this before as the species is quite familiar. I got a very poor quality photo with my cell phone which I will post later if I can improve the image.

The Mission Creek outfall was also rich in large shorebirds of the same species seen earlier this morning (except no turnstone). There were also 30 Black Skimmers here. Both sites had lots of gulls but all the same 3 species that have been around lately (Western, California, and Heerman's). I looked hard, in vain, for Ring-billed. I know it's too early for Mew or Glaucous-winged or Thayer's, but I don't recall Ring-billed arriving so much later than the other common species. Always so much to learn.

That's all,
Rob Lindsay