Coronado & Devereaux, Th. AM

Robert Lindsay

Thursday, 8/22, 9:30-11:00 am

Started at the Coronado puddle. At least 4 Wilson's Warbler. Other birds detected included Pac-slope Flycatcher, Black-headed Grosbeak, Common Yellowthroat, Chestnut-backed Chickadee (thanks, Libby), and maybe an Orange-crowned Warbler. I am sorely tempted to do a little vegetation removal around the puddle. Can anyone comment definitively on whether or not this is a good idea?

The first pull-out at Devereaux was very birdy and excellent shorebird habitat right now as has been previously reported. While there I saw the continuing American Avocet, only one Greater Yellowlegs, roughly 15 Dowitcher (too far away to get to species), about the same number of Red-necked Phalarope, a large group of Black-bellied Plover, abundant Semipalmated Plover, lots of Least Sandpiper, and quite a few Western Sandpiper. Common long-legged waders were everywhere. A cormorant was perched in the usual spot on the Eucalyptus tree frequented by the Neotropical and was being observed by several people at the second pull-out but I did not go there to confirm. In any case, Devereaux should get lots of attention in the days ahead until the mud flat dries out.

That's all,
Rob Lindsay

Join main@sbcobirding.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.