Coronado & Devereaux, Th. AM

Robert Lindsay

Thursday, 8/22, 9:30-11:00 am

Started at the Coronado puddle. At least 4 Wilson's Warbler. Other birds detected included Pac-slope Flycatcher, Black-headed Grosbeak, Common Yellowthroat, Chestnut-backed Chickadee (thanks, Libby), and maybe an Orange-crowned Warbler. I am sorely tempted to do a little vegetation removal around the puddle. Can anyone comment definitively on whether or not this is a good idea?

The first pull-out at Devereaux was very birdy and excellent shorebird habitat right now as has been previously reported. While there I saw the continuing American Avocet, only one Greater Yellowlegs, roughly 15 Dowitcher (too far away to get to species), about the same number of Red-necked Phalarope, a large group of Black-bellied Plover, abundant Semipalmated Plover, lots of Least Sandpiper, and quite a few Western Sandpiper. Common long-legged waders were everywhere. A cormorant was perched in the usual spot on the Eucalyptus tree frequented by the Neotropical and was being observed by several people at the second pull-out but I did not go there to confirm. In any case, Devereaux should get lots of attention in the days ahead until the mud flat dries out.

That's all,
Rob Lindsay