Northern Waterthrush

Rebecca Coulter

Well, this is not exactly how I expected to report on land bird migration season… I just found a dead Northern Waterthrush on my back doormat, in perfect condition otherwise. It apparently hit the window under my patio overhang, which is strange, since we rarely have window strikes there. This must have happened overnight or predawn this morning. The only thing I can think of is that it dropped down into the yard in the dark and then was startled by something and hit the window. Pictures attached.

Needless to say, that would have been my best yard bird ever.

Rebecca Coulter
SB