Re: Elings Park

Nick Lethaby

I have checked about 3 areas for passerine migrants the last few days and seen nothing. I suspect we are off to a late start this season, at least for Western migrants.

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 9:32 PM Hugh Ranson <zonetail@...> wrote:
This afternoon (Monday), I took a look around the plateau area (paraglider take off region) of Elings Park. Habitat has never looked so good up there with lots of flowering fennel (and plenty about to flower) and thistles. Nothing exciting to report, but there were lots of birds, mostly Lesser Goldfinches. I don't think I've ever seen so many in one place. At one point, after I pished near the stone bench, I counted forty plus around me. I would estimate somewhere in the region of 100 on the plateau. Also present were good numbers of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers in the fennel which would seem to indicate there's plenty to eat. Now we just have to wait for the warblers. The fennel was good for Virginia's Warblers last year when it didn't look half so attractive (at least to human eyes).

Yesterday in late afternoon a flock of 20 ibis flew east over More Mesa, possibly the Devereux birds plus a few hitch-hikers.

Hugh Ranson

Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA

Mobile: 805 284 6200