North County

Florence Sanchez

I took a trip to the Santa Maria area this morning hoping to beat the heat of Santa Barbara's microclimate.  My first stop was Jim May Park, a place I've never stopped at.  Where there was nothing remarkable there, the walk on the paved path around the main pond was very pleasant.  The heron family was well-represented with 18 Great Egrets, 4 Snowy Egrets, 3 Great Blue Herons, and 1 Green Heron in the lower pond.  With the exception of a few Ruddy Ducks, all I could make out of the other ducks were Mallards.  A few Coot and a Pied-billed Grebe were also present.  There were 3 Wilson's Phalaropes on the pond along with a juvenile REd-necked.  There were two groups of American Avocets--one of 6 birds and another of three.  I also found a few Kildeer, 2 Greater Yellowlegs,  3 Least Sandpipers, 1 Dowitcher Sp., and a Spotted Sandpiper on the bank.  There wereseveral Barn Swallows overhead and the Crows picked up on a roosting adult Red-shouldered Hawk in a eucalyptus tree.  Both Redwinged Blackbirds and Great-tailed Grackles were present in good numbers.

From there I headed to Jack O'Connell Park, which was dull as dishwater.  I found 3 Kildeer in the ball field.  I walked up on the berm to look into the ponds of the wastewater treatment plant, where I found several Red-necked Phalaropes swimming and 3 Least Sandpipers around the edge.  I checked the nearby ag fields for Tri-colored Blackbirds and came up with a few on a fence.  Then my scope-tripod assembly fell apart and that was it for birding today.  Though it was quiet today, I think it's important to check the Park whenever possible as it's the time of year the Golden Plovers and Snipe start to show up.