Tennessee Warbler@Refugio

Wes Fritz

SB Birders,

This morning as I was headed down to look for the Worm-eating Warbler I made a couple of stops along the way.

My first stop was Gaviota State Park. No birds to report, it was extremely windy and it didn’t take long before I blew out of there.

Refugio State Beach was a little more pleasant. I saw a Tennessee Warbler gleaning the willows at the sand stone bridge near the campgrounds. I was in a little hurry to get to the Worm-eating Warbler before the wind picked up as forecasted.

I parked at the end of Coronado and headed towards the area where the Worm-eater has been most frequently. There were many birders there and some birders were birding in near by locations, so it was getting fair coverage. I was there only for 3 hours, but some birders stayed much longer. As far as I know, nobody saw the Worm-eater today. This does not mean it’s gone, so I encourage birders to keep looking for it as other good birds can be found.

Mark Holmgren, Dave Compton and I returned to Refugio look for the Tennessee Warbler. We did not refund the Tennessee, But Dave did find a Lucy’s Warbler and there was a  Willow Flycatcher hanging out near the creek. We saw a few other expected migrants, but not much else to report.

Good birding.

Wes Fritz
805-895-0685
Wes-Fritz@...