[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Cackling Goose (1 report)
- Common Ground Dove (1 report)
- Worm-eating Warbler (2 reports)
- Lucy's Warbler (2 reports)

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 08:30 by Kurt Wahl
- Waller Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9029675,-120.4392958&ll=34.9029675,-120.4392958
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "very very small goose, short bill, white necklace"

Common Ground Dove (Columbina passerina) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 06:36 by John Callender
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Comments: "Distinctive series of single, ascending hoots heard to the south from near (34.4009608, -119.4919989)."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 16:09 by John Callender
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing bird found by Nick Lethaby. Seen briefly and photographed near the same location it was previously seen (34.423044, -119.886429). I observed the bird first through binoculars as it foraged in a eucalyptus about 50 feet directly overhead. My initial impression was of a compact, short-tailed warbler that was on the sluggish side. The tail was dark. The cream-colored belly blended into a darkish yellow (caramel/mustard-colored) breast and throat. As I followed the bird through the foliage I got a brief flash of a strong pattern that I thought might be the bold striping on the head. At that point I switched to my camera, and got a few shots before the bird (which was loosely associating with a mixed flock that included an Orange-crowned Warbler and two Blue-gray Gnatcatchers) flew into the larger eucalyptus trees immediately to the east, where I lost it. Photos show dark smudging on the undertail coverts, a buffy/mustard-colored throat, a sharply pointed beak, and a hint of a dark eye stripe."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 09:21 by Libby Patten
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Found originally by Nick Lethaby and refound by Bill Murdoch and others. Seen halfway up a tall tree on the short dead-end trail which heads north from the ‘willow trail’ which starts just west of the end of Ellwood Beach Drive. Got a decent short look from below. Warbler with light buff-colored underside and clear black line through its eye. Didn’t get clear view of its crown. At one point it flew to a different tree and sang its high-pitched trill song once. Unmistakable. Then flew behind us and not refound while I was there. "

Lucy's Warbler (Leiothlypis luciae) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 12:07 by Mark Holmgren
- Refugio SB, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4643601,-120.0694835&ll=34.4643601,-120.0694835
- Comments: "Small, dull-gray warbler foraging with Bushtits in Schinus molle near the park entrance. Pale gray below, gray head, gray mantle. Winds darker than body. Short tail. Black eye against dull gray face. The breast looked dingy compared to the rest of the underparts, and my first thought when I saw this was that the bird was a Virginia's Warbler, as I interpreted this off color area as being yellow. But a longer look revealed that it was NOT yellow. Also, the under tail coverts were clearly grayish white, and the bird did not have a prominent eye ring. I did not get a look at the rump."

Lucy's Warbler (Leiothlypis luciae) (1)
- Reported Sep 08, 2019 12:07 by David Compton