[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Lesser Nighthawk (1 report)
- Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (1 report)
- Worm-eating Warbler (1 report)

Lesser Nighthawk (Chordeiles acutipennis) (2) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 09, 2019 19:30 by Anonymous eBirder
- New Cuyama WTP, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.9519718,-119.6969408&ll=34.9519718,-119.6969408
- Comments: "Over the main pond, which is the first time they have been seen there. Flying west to east"

Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (Nyctanassa violacea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Sep 09, 2019 16:32 by Betsy Mooney
- Goleta Beach Slough, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4173939,-119.8280364&ll=34.4173939,-119.8280364
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Observed by itself on opposite side of Goleta Slough. Brown overall with white streaking and tear-shaped spotting. Thick black bill."

Worm-eating Warbler (Helmitheros vermivorum) (1)
- Reported Sep 07, 2019 09:40 by Curtis Marantz
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "I arrived this morning about 15 minutes after others had seen this bird, yet more than two hours had elapsed before Jeff relocated the warbler as it moved along a eucalyptus branch over the narrow track to the north of its intersection with the main trail. Unfortunately, the warbler flew off after I had seen it for only a few seconds as a small, brownish bird that was creeping along the branch. I heard intermittent calls by this bird over the following half-hour, yet it took me almost two hours to see the bird amid the dense vegetation of a vine-covered tree along the riparian corridor 50 meters west of the trail from which the other observations had been made. The warbler spent several minutes in this tree, but the vegetation was so dense that it was difficult to see for extended periods of time, so I had it in view for no more than a minute in total. I lost track of the warbler for about a half-hour, before I again heard it call several times and I again saw it for a few seconds before it flew off to the east toward the trail and disappeared. The warbler was difficult to see and hard to follow because it was often hidden amid dense vegetation in which it worked clusters of live leaves and vine tangles as opposed to the dead leaves that it was visiting when initially seen in the eucalyptus. I located this bird by hearing its distinctive, yet easily overlooked, calls that I described as a thin “zeeeet” that was intermediate in quality between the buzzy, “zeeet” flight-call of a Yellow Warbler, and the clear, “seeet” of an Orange-crowned Warbler, but unlike the calls of these species, this bird called in series of twos or threes.
My views of this bird were more than sufficient to identify it with confidence, yet they were not overly satisfying, given that my best views of it were directly from below and in dense shade. I was nevertheless able to note that this was a small bird that seemed similar in size to the other warblers that were in the area, but also seemingly plumper overall, with a seemingly large head and a long bill, but little in the way of a neck. Further apparent from below was that the tail was relatively short, maybe comparable to the length of the body without the head and neck, broader than that of an Orange-crowned Warbler, and with a square tip. The long, tapered undertail-coverts reached about halfway out the tail. I never did see the wingtips, the primary projection, or the placement of the wingtips relative to the tail or undertail coverts.
Given my position below this bird, I saw its underparts far better than the upperparts. I was therefore able to see that the throat and breast were a rich buff to nearly cinnamon-buff in color and with any obvious markings. The belly was beige and unmarked, but the flanks were a little darker and more olive. The undertail coverts were about the same shade of beige as the belly, but they also had dusky brown centers to the various feathers that gave the undertail coverts a distinctly spotted appearance. The underside of the tail itself was uniformly dark, and seemingly olive-brown. I did not see paler corners to the tail or any suggestion of tail spots. My views of the head, upperparts, and wings were brief. I saw a relatively narrow, but sharply demarcated, postocular-stripe that was blackish if not truly black, and which was bordered above by a pale supercilium, but I did not clearly see the lateral crown-stripes or the median stripe when the bird was in the vine tangles. The wings were dark and not boldly marked, but I easily could have missed some subtle contrast, and I had only an impression that the wings were olive as opposed to brown. It was only when I saw the bird in the ash tree that I thought I saw a striped crown, but I was unable to make out any detail.
When seen from below, the underside of the bill appeared to be entirely flesh-colored, the eyes were dark, and the legs also appeared to be either pinkish or flesh colored."