North Campus OS monthly bird survey

Mark Holmgren

 Kind of an awesome survey at NCOS this morning. The egrets (80 Snowy, 38 Great) decided to harvest the fishes here this morning, but I know there were others on Devereux Slough as well. We need simultaneous coverage. The Devereux Slough survey is tomorrow at about 11:15am.  If someone was able to cover NCOS starting around then, I think we’d come up with some very high cumulative totals. I feel like we’re beginning to realize the benefits to fish and birds of a larger, grander, more diverse ‘Greater Devereux Ecosystem’ than what we had with lower Devereux alone.

But it’s not just egrets. We carefully counted 172 Semipalmated Plovers.   Among those were 8 Snowy Plovers, 2 Pectoral Sandpipers, 88 Killdeer, and smaller numbers of Red-necked Phalaropes and a score of peeps. Other migrants included Willow Flycatcher, Sora and Virginia Rail, Lincoln’s Sparrow, Northern Pintail, Savannah Sparrows, and more.

My results for only the eastern half of NCOS are here:

Mark Holmgren