Re: Roger Millikan, 1931-2019

Joan Lentz <joanlentz@...>

Thank you, Wim, for calling our attention to Roger Millikan’s passing.
I just wanted to mention what a life saver he was with his beautiful photos of birds, which he would bring to my bird classes on a rainy day.
Roger had several slide shows he’d created of various local birds, and he was so generous with his work.  Many of the bird class participants benefitted from his shows, and I, as teacher, heaved a sigh of relief.  Here in Santa Barbara, we’re fair weather birders, so we were happy to sit inside at the Museum and enjoy Roger’s fine bird photos.
He was a kind and generous man, and one of the first to really get into serious bird photography in our area.

Joan Lentz
Santa Barbara

On Sep 13, 2019, at 1:15 AM, Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam@...> wrote:

I was sad to learn that Roger Millikan died a few days ago:

When I found my first proper CBC bird (Eastern Phoebe, 2010), Roger was very helpful by getting some good photos of it on count day (saving me the stress of having to write a detailed report). It was always nice meeting Roger (a fellow academic) in the field, with his big lens, stalking birds. .

Wim

--
Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #385: Neotropic Cormorant