Re: Roger Millikan, 1931-2019

Dave Compton

Thanks for letting all of us know about this, Wim. Very sad to hear this. All of my encounters with Roger were most pleasant. My experience of him was of a kind and humble person who never let his ego into birding. By the way, I found this bio of him from the UCSB Chemistry and Biochemistry Department:

I think my favorite part is that he was the co-discoverer of the molecule BO2. I guess if you've spent your life discovering molecules, you don't need birding to stoke your ego.

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 1:16 AM Wim van Dam <wim.van.dam@...> wrote:
I was sad to learn that Roger Millikan died a few days ago:

When I found my first proper CBC bird (Eastern Phoebe, 2010), Roger was very helpful by getting some good photos of it on count day (saving me the stress of having to write a detailed report). It was always nice meeting Roger (a fellow academic) in the field, with his big lens, stalking birds. .

Wim

--
Wim van Dam (Solvang, CA)
SBCO #385: Neotropic Cormorant