Coal Oil Point Reserve and Hawk Watch

Mark Holmgren

The Dune Pond at COPR had a Yellow-headed Blackbird among lots of Red-winged Blackbirds.  I think the blackbirds commute between the free food at the Nature Center and the tules in the Dune Pond.

Devereux Slough had 8 Dunlin and 3 American Avocets.

John Callender and I did a 2-hour Hawk Watch at the Bella Vista Drive overlook starting at 4:13.  Vultures especially were moving while the NW wind was blowing.  But it stopped about 5:10 and so did the migrating vultures and hawks.  We did see 39 Turkey Vultures, 15 Red-tailed Hawks (including close-up looks at a dark morph bird), and singles of Cooper's and Red-shouldered Hawks.

Mark Holmgren
San Marcos Pass