[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- Broad-winged Hawk (1 report)
- Tropical Kingbird (1 report)

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (2)
- Reported Oct 03, 2019 14:23 by John Callender
- Romero Canyon Road Hawk Watch Site, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4526943,-119.5826036&ll=34.4526943,-119.5826036
- Media: 10 Photos
- Comments: "In the field I saw three birds that I thought were possible Broad-winged Hawks.

The first bird, seen at 1455, approached from well to the west. I followed it in my spotting scope as it approached head-on. As it approached, passing rapidly to the south of us, I switched to taking photos. In reviewing those photos I've concluded the bird was probably a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk, and have included it in the count for that species.

The second bird did a rapid flyby at 1611. The bird glided by west to east near my eye level about 300 yards south of me. I did not see the bird until it was relatively close. In my initial binocular view I noticed strong streaking on the bird's sides that looked consistent with an immature Broad-winged Hawk. I switched to taking photos; those photos are included here. All the photos show this individual. The photos show the streaking on the sides; a relatively pale, unmarked underwing with dark wingtips; and a relatively narrow folded tail.

The third bird passed by at 1655. As with the second bird I did not see it until it was fairly close. The bird did a rapid flyby from west to east about 150 yards south of me and well below my eye level. My initial impression was of the bird's small size. It was clearly a buteo, but appeared closer in size to a Cooper's Hawk. Through binoculars I saw an all dark back without much pattern and a tail with dark bands, with the subterminal band being distinctly wider than the others. I tried to take photos but was unsuccessful, and lost the bird as it continued gliding rapidly eastward. I'm confident in the identification based on the bird's extremely small size (for a buteo) and the wide subterminal band on the tail."

Tropical Kingbird (Tyrannus melancholicus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 02, 2019 06:32 by John/Linda Mendoza
- Jalama Beach, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5099836,-120.5014432&ll=34.5099836,-120.5014432
- Media: 10 Photos
- Comments: "Have pics"