Botanic Garden

Florence Sanchez

I made a short trip to the Botanic Garden this morning.  Nothing rare, but fall activity is definitely evident.  The Garden has been invaded by a large flock of Yellow-rumps, mostly hanging around the oaks along the meadow, parking lot, and east slope.  Most if the sparrows have yet to arrive, though--I had only one White-crown.  However, Hermit Thrushes are definitely in, and a small flock of Western Bluebirds was feeding on the berries of the Summer Holly next to the meadow.  (Usually if these birds are present, they are on the east slope.) Toyon berries are not ripe yet.

Birds of interest include a Sharp-shinned Hawk flying overhead on the east slope, three Townsend's Warblers, 3 Wilson's Warblers, and 2 lingering Pacific Slope Flycatchers.  The creek is dry but two pools of water remain:  The pool just below the dam, and one just upstream from the Campbell Bridge.  The latter had the most activity.