[eBird Alert] Santa Barbara County Rare Bird Alert <daily>

eBird alert

*** Species Summary:

- White-winged Dove (1 report)
- Black Swift (1 report)
- American Bittern (1 report)
- Broad-winged Hawk (4 reports)
- Swainson's Hawk (1 report)
- Vermilion Flycatcher (1 report)
- Plumbeous Vireo (1 report)
- Northern Waterthrush (2 reports)
- Black-and-white Warbler (1 report)
- Blackpoll Warbler (1 report)
- Indigo Bunting (4 reports)

White-winged Dove (Zenaida asiatica) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 10:39 by Noah Arthur
- (34.5107,-120.5016), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.510713,-120.501573&ll=34.510713,-120.501573
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Unobtrusive juvenile in the willows, hanging with a Eurasian Collared-dove."

Black Swift (Cypseloides niger) (2)
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 10:07 by Thomas Turner
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Seen by both observers. Tom's notes: seen in the same field of view with a white throated Swift. At least as big as the White-throated, but all black (banking in good light). Tail was large and square, slightly flared out as it banked. Not a lot of experience with this species, but the size + color + tail seem conclusive together. There were about a dozen swifts in the first flock we saw and I think most were Black, but I was only sure about these two."

American Bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 08:15 by Barry Rowan
- Lake Los Carneros Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.44322,-119.84975&ll=34.44322,-119.84975
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Flyover"

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 11:29 by William Kaempfer
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Found by Tom Turner, Maggie Sherriffs. Dark morph."

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 11:29 by Mark Holmgren
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Comments: "Found by Tom Turner, Maggie Sherriffs. Dark morph."

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 10:07 by Thomas Turner
- Farren Rd., Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.443548,-119.9237752&ll=34.443548,-119.9237752
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Photos"

Broad-winged Hawk (Buteo platypterus) (2)
- Reported Oct 03, 2019 14:23 by Kay Regester
- Romero Canyon Road Hawk Watch Site, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4526943,-119.5826036&ll=34.4526943,-119.5826036
- Media: 10 Photos
- Comments: "In the field I saw three birds that I thought were possible Broad-winged Hawks.

The first bird, seen at 1455, approached from well to the west. I followed it in my spotting scope as it approached head-on. As it approached, passing rapidly to the south of us, I switched to taking photos. In reviewing those photos I've concluded the bird was probably a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk, and have included it in the count for that species.

The second bird did a rapid flyby at 1611. The bird glided by west to east near my eye level about 300 yards south of me. I did not see the bird until it was relatively close. In my initial binocular view I noticed strong streaking on the bird's sides that looked consistent with an immature Broad-winged Hawk. I switched to taking photos; those photos are included here. All the photos show this individual. The photos show the streaking on the sides; a relatively pale, unmarked underwing with dark wingtips; “paring knife”-shaped wings (curved along the leading edge; straight in the back); wings held stiffly downward in a glide; and a relatively narrow folded tail.

The third bird passed by at 1655. As with the second bird I did not see it until it was fairly close. The bird did a rapid flyby from west to east about 150 yards south of me and well below my eye level. My initial impression was of the bird's small size. It was clearly a buteo, but appeared much smaller than the Red-tailed Hawks I’d been seeing, closer in size to a Cooper's Hawk. Through binoculars I saw an all dark back without much pattern and a tail with dark bands, with the subterminal band being dramatically wider than the others. I tried to take photos but was unsuccessful, and lost the bird as it continued gliding rapidly eastward. I'm confident in the identification based on the bird's extremely small size (for a buteo) and the wide subterminal band on the tail."

Swainson's Hawk (Buteo swainsoni) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 10:15 by Jamie Chavez
- VAFB--Tranquillion Mountain Road, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.5841437,-120.5657352&ll=34.5841437,-120.5657352
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Immature bird. It was initially identified by its log tapered wing shape. The flight feathers were darker than the underwing coverts and it had a relatively long, squared tail. Underparts were a creamy whitish color with dark smudgy streaking along the sides. It was observed for several minutes as it circled over one of the canyons, moved south, and came back up toward the ridge top again over Tranquillion Mtn. Rd. passing fairly low overhead."

Vermilion Flycatcher (Pyrocephalus rubinus) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 08:00 by John Deacon
- Santa Maria Country Club (Restricted Access), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.905972,-120.442061&ll=34.905972,-120.442061
- Comments: "Continuing bird documented on 9/30/19. Found in the same tree where it was originally found. Female. Pinkish lower belly and vent. Faint eyebrow. Faint streaks on whitish breast. Located in scrawny 20' pine tree between hole numbers 1 and 18 about 200 yards from #1 teebox."

Plumbeous Vireo (Vireo plumbeus) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 10:39 by Noah Arthur
- (34.5107,-120.5016), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.510713,-120.501573&ll=34.510713,-120.501573
- Media: 5 Photos
- Comments: "Seen very briefly in the willows; probably moved upstream into the closed area."

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 07:27 by Mark Holmgren
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Media: 1 Photo

Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 07:27 by William Kaempfer
- Carpinteria Creek, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.3930006,-119.5140259&ll=34.3930006,-119.5140259
- Media: 1 Photo
- Comments: "Picture coming"

Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 09:40 by Jamie Chavez
- Ocean Beach County Park, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.6909567,-120.6003785&ll=34.6909567,-120.6003785
- Media: 3 Photos
- Comments: "Immature/female type found in the mioporum hedge south of the restroom building. While pishing the bird popped out in the open but quickly disappeared. I found it a short time later creeping along the exposed, dead trunks and branches of the mioporum. Black and white striped plumage with dusky cheeks, two broad white wing bars, black streaking on the sides. Creeping along like a nuthatch. Photographed."

Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata) (1)
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 10:36 by Ryan Terrill
- Santa Cruz Island--Scorpion Harbor, Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.0489615,-119.5560551&ll=34.0489615,-119.5560551
- Comments: "Photos. In willow thicket along creekbed, then moved up into and around the tall Eucalyptus east of the lower campground. "

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 11:49 by Santiago Lupi
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Found by another birder on top of a palm tree at the end of Coronado drive. It then flew towards the willows and disappeared. It had a blue rump and a little bit of blue on wings. The rest was dark grayish or brown."

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 09:32 by Eric Hopson
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Fall eclipse male. "

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 09:32 by Colin Dillingham
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Comments: "Fall male with blue rump. Lacks wing bars of Lazuli bunting. Bill conical with paler lower bill and darker upper bill. Go to end of Coronado Street and then go east 100-200 feet. Seen in sycamore tree near house with feeders and in palm tree closer to Coronado."

Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea) (1) CONFIRMED
- Reported Oct 06, 2019 07:58 by Ryan Seppala
- Coronado Dr.--south end (Goleta Monarch Grove), Santa Barbara, California
- Map: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=34.4232079,-119.8898008&ll=34.4232079,-119.8898008
- Media: 2 Photos
- Comments: "Continuing. I caught onto the bird around 10:40 at the top of the large sycamore east of the end of Coronado Dr. It quickly disappeared but was re-found by a group of birders a while later on top of a palm in the neighborhood, and then one more time right next to the trail."