“Song Thrasher” at LLC

John Callender

I haven’t seen this bird myself, but apparently there is a Song Sparrow at Lake Los Carneros that has an abnormally long upper beak that curves downward, making Marge and Don Thornton, who saw the bird near the east end of the dam on September 23, say it looks at first glance like “a miniature thrasher.” You can see their photo in their eBird list here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60064902

Today Jacob Broad photographed what looks like the same bird. His photos are here:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60599964

I wonder what might have caused the deformity, what problems it creates for the bird, and whether the beak will continue to grow in the future.

John Callender
Carpinteria