Re: Gaviota

Jamie Chavez

I must have just missed Wes. I was at Gaviota for about 1 hour 40 minutes this morning. I didn't have much of interest but an Osprey made a pass high overhead while I was there.

I then stopped at Refugio where I most certainly had the same "near tailless Cassin's Kingbird" there. How many can there be in the area? It flew into the snags around the eucalyptus trees next to the RR tracks, then headed west. Probably to Gaviota. There were many Yellow-rumped warblers around the trees, on the ground, and in the willows at the bridge, but no other warblers of note. I had White-throated Swifts and a Northern harrier flew over. Tailless Kingbird photo is here:

Jaime Chavez
Santa Maria, CA

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 2:34 PM Wes Fritz via Groups.Io <wes-fritz=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
SB Birders,
I birded around Gaviota State Beach for about one hour.  It was 76 degrees and the wind was not too bad.
  The best bird was a female type Lazuli Bunting in the mixed flock of sparrows. The number of sparrows have increase since yesterday, or I missed a bunch of birds.
  The Tropical Kingbird was not seen today. Although, a near tailless Cassin’s Kingbird and a Greater Roadrunner were hanging out around the campground.

Good birding,

Wes Fritz
805-895-0685
Solvang CA.