Goleta Beach Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, etc.

Dave Compton

This morning, Marge and Don Thornton and I saw two Yellow-crowned Night-Herons in the Black-crowned Night-Heron roost at Goleta Beach. I think these birds are different ages, or at least their appearance is different. One looks pretty clearly to be an HY bird, with a juvenile pattern on the wing coverts. The other does not show the juvenile pattern on the wings, but also doesn't show much of the adult head pattern.

Not much else of interest here, but a lot of gulls were gathered at the west end of the beach. The majority (almost 500) were Heermann's, with a substantial minority (maybe 250) being California's. The rest were Westerns. So nothing interesting, but maybe something good will be attracted to the gathering. No gulls at the slough mouth, but there were several of the larger shorebirds species, including a healthy gathering of 17 Greater Yellowlegs.

I also visited Laguna Blanca in Hope Ranch. Nothing of great note, but there are a ton of birds here. Aside from the 1000+ coots, there was a nice variety of ducks, with at least a couple of Blue-winged Teal, a handful of Pintail, a few Redheads, plus Buffleheads, Ruddies, Mallards, Gadwall, wigeon, shovelers, Green-winged Teal, and a couple of Cinnamons. Finally, the hybrid swan that's been making the rounds was here with it's Mute friend.