Re: [EXTERNAL] [sbcobirding] Lompoc

Nick Lethaby

It seems like Surf Scoter numbers have completely collapsed the last couple of years.

From: main@sbcobirding.groups.io [mailto:main@sbcobirding.groups.io] On Behalf Of Wes Fritz via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2019 4:38 PM
To: sbcobirding@groups.io
Cc: main@sbcobirding.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [sbcobirding] Lompoc

SB Birders,

I made my first stop at the pond on Hwy 246 just east of Campbell Road. This pond is nearly dry now with only three A. Coots remaining. My next stop was the garden area at La Purisima Mission, all the expected birds were present while there was a lack of wintering birds. The most common birds were Hermit Thrush and they were feeding on the berries

In the Madrones and Olive Trees. I then checked out the Mission Hills Sewage Works, it had a few more ducks than the 14th today had 22 Hooded Merganser, 28 Buflehead ducks, 6 Blue-winged Teal and one Common Goldeneye and 7 Ring-necked Ducks. Next stop was Surf Beach and with a short sea watch I could only find 27 Surf Scoter and a unidentified loon which I believe could have been common, but it was too distant. I then checked out Ocean Park, the best bird was a Horned Grebe and the a single Avocet. Oh yea,

Wes Fritz

805 895 0685

wes-fritz@...

Solvang CA