Warbling Vireo returns

Hugh Ranson

This morning I came across a Warbling Vireo in Bohnett Park on Santa Barbara's Westside. Presumably this is the returning bird, now back for its SEVENTH winter. I missed the bird last winter despite considerable searching, but then again there were very few birds in the park last year.

Earlier I saw a spiffy-looking Fox Sparrow at Orpet Park on the lower Riviera. My best guess is that it's an intergrade between Red and Slate-colored. Interestingly, it was singing quite persistently. There were a couple of typical Sooty Fox Sparrows in the park.

I also looked at Lauro Reservoir and Rocky Nook Park without seeing anything of note.

Photos of sparrow and vireo here:

Hugh Ranson