Scouting the Sta Ynez River

Mark Holmgren

John Callender and I scouted the route I’ve had on the Cachuma CBC for 19 years.  John found all the special birds: Orange-crowned Warbler, Townsend’s Warbler (not common in winter on the north side of the Santa Ynez Mtns), and Chestnut-backed Chickadee.  All were seen in the vicinity of Bradbury Dam at Lake Cachuma. The chickadee, also seen below Bradbury Dam in the winters of 2011 and 2016, has never been detected on the SY River upstream of Bradbury Dam to my knowledge.

Other interesting birds were Sora, Virginia Rail, Marsh Wren, and Myrtle (Yellow-rumped) Warblers.

The Cachuma CBC is on 27 Dec this year. Contact Peter Schneekloth to participate.

Mark Holmgren

San Marcos Pass