Santa Maria Sewage

Wes Fritz

SB Birders,
I made a brief stop by the sewage treatment works on Black Road in Santa Maria. There is not really much to report but 2 adult Iceland ( Thayer’s) and one juvenile, 7 Herring Gulls and 4 Glaucous-winged Gulls that were in the Gull flock. And I sure you all know there was 80+ Greater Yellowlegs. I guess the bird of note at this location was one Tricolored Blackbird. I only mention this is because this is the first one I have seen at this location in 20 years.
  The duck numbers are up, but not by much. The best duck seen today was a Northern Pintail. I should mention that the flooded field on Black Road is still dry and birdless.
  Monday 12-9-19 I birded along our south coast. I stopped by Gaviota, Refugio, Goleta Sewage Works, Goleta Beach, Rancho Goleta, Laguna Blanca ( did not see the Goldeneye) Mission Creek Outflow, Sterns Wharf, La Pattera and Sandpiper Golf Course. It was sobering how low the bird numbers were along with low number of species. I did see 3 Glaucous-winged Gulls and the Black Skimmer flock looks good with 250+ birds being present at the outflow. It was hard to get a better estimate of the Skimmers due to some dude riding his electric bike around the outflow area.

Good birding,

Wes Fritz
805 895 0685
wes-fritz@...