1/1/2020 birds: Alice Keck Park; Bird Refuge

Dika Golovatchoff

I walk through Alice Keck Park at least once a day with my lab but today I returned to bird a bit.  I observed a  dark-eyed Junco female, Song Sparrow, and two Yellow-rumped Warblers in the area around the tipu trees and a Townsend's Warbler and a couple of Lesser Goldfinches bathing in the large fountain behind the Unity church (across Arrellaga st.).  In the afternoon I birded the Andree Clark Bird Refuge.  Noticeable in their absence were herons, egrets, stilts, and cormorants.  There were abundant shovelers, ruddy ducks, coots, and gulls.  I found many bushtits, house finches, a blue-gray gnatcatcher, a kingbird, and the regular common yellowthroat presented itself very briefly near the 3rd breeding platform.  I spent some time looking for the yellow warbler that Libby Patten had reported and found it in the exact location she described.  It was mostly in low shrubbery adjacent to bike path leading south from the parking lot.  That area had a lot of bottlebrush that was attracting anna's and allen's hummingbirds. I posted a few photos at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/digolov/