La Cumbre Peak was dea this morning BUT. . .

Florence Sanchez

I found a Townsend's Solitaire in the Coulter Pines along the road about .5 miles east on ECC from the parking area at the Peak.  It was feeding actively in the pines on either side of the road and presented good views.  Note that this has been a good location for them in past years.  (Best time to look here is late morning--I saw this bird around 11 a.m.). Otherwise, birding at the Peak was REALLY dead.  In fact I didn't pull out a single bird from the pines area. There were Scrub Jays and Wrentits in the nearby chaparral.

At the large communications station to the west, birding was also slow.  I had a few chaparral birds, including a single Sooty Fox Sparrow.  Unusual for this location was a single American Robin.  I heard a Hairy Woodpecker's call in the pines as I left this spot.