White Pelicans on UCSB Lagoon

Florence Sanchez

I don't know if these were found earlier during Christmas Count routes this morning.  I decided to walk around the Lagoon this lovely afternoon and while I was there, 3 White Pelicans flew in and settled on the Lagoon.  There was schooling activity form some small fish, which was being pursued avidly by Double Crested Cormorants and (when the school got close to shore) a big flock of Snowy Egrets (40+).  The Pelicans joined in the fishing from time to time; otherwise, they floated off together.  I got some lousy photographs if they are needed.

Florence Sanchez

(PS--On my walk down to the Farmer's Market early this morning, I encountered a group of 9 Cassin's Kingbirds sitting together on utility wires at Islay and Chapala Streets.  This seemed like a high number for this residential location.)