Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [sbcobirding] Carpinteria Birding

Nick Lethaby

GW Teal especially prefer very shallow water (1- 3 inches) over mud

From: main@sbcobirding.groups.io [mailto:main@sbcobirding.groups.io] On Behalf Of Eric Culbertson
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 1:28 PM
To: sanchezucsb11@...
Cc: SBCOBirding Group; main@sbcobirding.groups.io
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [sbcobirding] Carpinteria Birding

My last visit to Jocelyn on January 5th found only seven green-winged teal compared with the thirty to forty+ I saw there regularly back in December. I can see that water levels have increased since that time and I’m assuming the habitat is now less attractive to certain species.

Eric Culbertson

Carpinteria

On Jan 9, 2020, at 2:38 PM, Florence Sanchez via Groups.Io <sanchezucsb11@...> wrote:

Today I birded Carpinteria and found it pretty quiet.  First stop was Santa Monica Creek where I spent some time but the Orchard oriole did not show.  Is it still around?

My net stop was Carpinteria Creek.  I birded from Sixth street past the Sewage Treatment plant and then from Sixth street to the bridge at Eighth street and back again.  (I spotted the huge gull flock in the estuary Rob mentioned but did not go down that far).  That area was also very quiet.  In fact, it looked like my total count for this area was going to be 1 Ruby-crowned Kinglet until a couple of Chestnut-backed Chickadees and an Oak Titmouse finally showed up.

Finally on to Lake Jocelyn, where for the first time I can remember (except when the lake was dry) there was NOTHING on the water--not even a Coot.

Nick Lethaby
Goleta, CA