From: main@sbcobirding.groups.io [mailto:main@sbcobirding.groups.io] On Behalf Of Joan Lentz (cox.net address)
Sent: Monday, January 13, 2020 8:39 PM
To: Sbcobirding
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [sbcobirding] Iceland/Thayer's Gull at Lake Los Carneros today

Hi All:

            Today I got out birding with Libby Patten and Adrian O’Loghlen.  We walked the circumference of the lake, and when we got to the area by the dam, I saw a gull that might be good for Thayer’s, so I took a photo.  After asking the powers that be, it was confirmed as what’s now known as Iceland (Thayer’s) Gull, a first year.  I understand it was photographed on the CBC by Santiago Lupi, which I didn’t know before.  Anyway, the whole morning was beautiful & full of many birds, although nothing particularly stands out.  The Toyon show is simply amazing — I’ve never seen so many berries on those bushes on the east side of the lake.  Just a terrific source of food for all sorts of species, including of course American Robins and Cedar Waxwings.  We heard one Western Tanager somewhere over near Stow House.  Four White-tailed Kites were also around.

            Checklist here:  https://ebird.org/checklist/S63371405

            Joan Lentz

--
Nick Lethaby