Re: Retraction

Conor Scotland

Would love to hear what reasoning is behind the hybrid theory. I think the gull looks like a pretty classic Thayer's gull, though hard to be certain without seeing the primary tips better. In my experience, GWGU x HERG hybrids usually have larger bills and somewhat disproportionate-looking heads. This bird's head has the delicate look of Thayer's. Would also expect some more scapular molt to have happened by now if it was the hybrid, but I think we're seeing 1st cycle scapulars still on this bird, which I believe is also good for Thayer's. I could be quite wrong, and GWGUxHER can often look extremely similar to Thayer's, but am just curious why it's a hybrid.

Thanks,
Conor

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:02 PM Joan Lentz (cox.net address) <joanlentz@...> wrote:
Hi Folks:  Guess what?  There are at least 3 individual gulls near the dam area at Lake Los Carneros that might be candidates for Thayer’s Gull, & my list posted yesterday said that I had a Thayer’s/Iceland Gull.  Upon consultation with various people, it appears that my candidate is better for a hybrid (sigh) Glaucous-winged x Herring Gull.  If you can find Hugh Ranson’s portrait of the Thayer’s Gull, as well as Santiago Lupi’s, those are truly Thayer’s/Iceland Gull, which was seen on the CBC.
        Back to the drawing board…..as they say…..

        Joan Lentz